I Forge Iron

fisher pricing

When people ask me to give a price for an anvil I start at US$1 a pound and go up. To go further than $1.50 a pound it better be in great shape!

Of course I don't *need* anymore anvils but all the ones I've got average out to under a dollar a pound---the 515# Fisher in mint condition for $350 helps a lot in dragging the price down as did the 400# one for under $200.

I think the used anvil market is artificially high right now from people seeing special anvils going for top dollar on e-bay and then pricing run of the mill anvils to match!

The asking price seemed a bit high, so wanted to get some idea of what "reasonable" could be considered. I'd run into the other thread here describing what people had paid, but that's not neccessarily the same thing as what is reasonable to pay since people that are "in the biz" have time to run across some great deals over the years, etc.

Of course, even extravagently priced used anvils are a bargain compared to the new ones... yikes!

Thanks for the info.

Fisher Price... or maybe HasBro... a forged Mr Potato Head?

Out here in the land of fruits and nuts the used anvils are going for $3 - $4/lb, well at least that's what people are trying to get for them and the ones that I have had contact with in the past do not negotiate on the price
here is one example
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/tls/1907205318.html
If you live somewhere else the might sprout out of a cactus or something and you can get them cheaper but I have not seen any thing that could be used for a door stop for the $1/lb range and I have been going to blacksmith events for over 10 years now

Out here in the land of fruits and nuts the used anvils are going for $3 - $4/lb, well at least that's what people are trying to get for them and the ones that I have had contact with in the past do not negotiate on the price
here is one example
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/tls/1907205318.html
If you live somewhere else the might sprout out of a cactus or something and you can get them cheaper but I have not seen any thing that could be used for a door stop for the $1/lb range and I have been going to blacksmith events for over 10 years now

They still go for about buck a pound in these parts.
If I load up a truck and trailer and promise to split the profits can I stay at your house this winter while I sell them?
You can stay at my place during the summer.You don`t have to bring anything.

PS-I`ll bring lobster.