I Forge Iron

cast iron weld

Hi everyone,
thought this may be of interest, what I got up to yesterday.

post-8233-098620400 1282434114_thumb.jpg post-8233-030843000 1282434146_thumb.jpg post-8233-095130300 1282434182_thumb.jpg

The cast iron 'plate' is about 1 foot square and 1 inch thick. Weld prep is single sided 'U', filler rod 'super silicon' cast iron rod, Oxy-acetylene process.

shall see how it turns out tomorrow when we uncover from ash mound. (fingers crossed!)

AndrewOC

• 4 months later...

Hi Jreed,
Thanks for the follow up reminder. I should take more pics and post.

The joint appeared ok after i ground it flush and then we crack tested it with some dye-penetrant tester; shows up hair lines! We think this is probably lack of fusion between the original surface and where i hurriedly ran the last pass. Am thinking of grinding it out, pre-heating over the forge and stuffing in more filler metal... or maybe just leave it.
New pics will probably take a while, thanks for the interest.
A.

Cool.
I have just started to really look into learning to weld and have been learning a lot from all here. I saw this and was curious how it had turned out for you. I hadn't seen a lot of folks doing cast iron I look forward to seeing the update pic's.

Hi Jreed,
Thanks for the follow up reminder. I should take more pics and post.

The joint appeared ok after i ground it flush and then we crack tested it with some dye-penetrant tester; shows up hair lines! We think this is probably lack of fusion between the original surface and where i hurriedly ran the last pass. Am thinking of grinding it out, pre-heating over the forge and stuffing in more filler metal... or maybe just leave it.
New pics will probably take a while, thanks for the interest.
A.

Just a bit of advice I've found that peening the weld after each pass releives the stress that causes hairline cracks and cracks in general, cast can be fussy stuff have fun .........C.B.