I Forge Iron

removing a gauge

kcrucible

I have an old gauge on an acetylene regulator that I'd like to reuse on my propane setup. It seems to be sealed in pretty tightly. I suspect that you need to apply a little heat to get it to loosen, but figured I'd ask before either heating or wrenching it.

Suggestions?

The gauge is standard threads, not left handed, and probably has some kind of hardening pipe dope on them. Hoses and regulator to bottle (POL) are the ones with left hand threads.
Rob

So, is there any particular trick to losening the pipe dope, or is it just a matter of applying more pressure to break the seal?

So, is there any particular trick to losening the pipe dope, or is it just a matter of applying more pressure to break the seal?

The secret is to be able to hold the gauge securely enough, while you apply sufficient force. Use absolutely no heat!

Use tight fitting wrenchs, and if no other way, mount gauge on an empty tank.

I have an old gauge on an acetylene regulator that I'd like to reuse on my propane setup. It seems to be sealed in pretty tightly. I suspect that you need to apply a little heat to get it to loosen, but figured I'd ask before either heating or wrenching it.

Suggestions?

There is a square stem at the base of the gauge, that is intended to be turned with a wrench, so definitely try using one before getting tricky. It was put in with a wrench, so it shouldn't come out without a wrench.

A proper fitting wrench or even crescent wrench (if the square fitting isn't too rounded yet) and a couple taps on the wrench end with a rubber mallet should break the initial bond with any old hard sealer. Use a long enough wrench so you can hold it in a loosening direction while hitting it with the mallet. This produces a "dead blow" affect and also keeps the wrench from bouncing back and causing possible damage to the fitting.