I Forge Iron

Cautionary Children's Tales Wanted

okay, I have deleted the request, as I now see it is completely not suitable for the forum. The book is not going to be for children, though. It is not a manual of any kind either, it is a form of very black humor, but I agree that this is not the place. I apologise, I should have known better.

Edited: Post deleted by Archie Zietman. Comment added by Az.

Archie
May I respectfully request that you terminate the subject of your quest as it concerns this forum. This forum's purpose is to gather and exchange information on blacksmithing, metal working, and related topics. Cautionary children's tales where a nasty horrible child is wholly consumed and dies, is just NOT related to the format.

To use "scare tatics" on a child whether in a story, as a parent, or as an adult, is a poor decision, in my opinion. I see no reason, or benifit, to scare a child with bodily harm or death. They are at a very impressionable age, developing their personality, and their mental health, that will take them through life. Positive reinforcment, working closely with the child so they achieve success, working to insure they achieve success, and congradulating and bragging on their success, will always go a lot further to building the childs character, personality, and mental health.

But that is my opinion, and the method I have tried to use when raising my children. Those things (children) unfortunately do not come with owners manuals, and we as parents each have to do what we think is best in raising our child. They give us 21 or so years to accomplish the task and then declare the child an adult and allow them to then make their own decisions, continuing the process of life. Different parents do things differently when dealing with children, and that is their choice.

We do have at least one childrens tale on the IForgeIron site. The "Y" Rule is a true story, as I was there.
IForgeIron.com > Stories > The "Y" Rule.

------------------------------

Archie has the privledge of asking the question, but I ask others that if they wish to continue the discussion, please realign the topic to whether the subject is approprate for this forum. As the topic is one I consider sensetative, please use extreme caution in your posts to keep them on the subject at hand - the subject now being "is it approprate for this forum".

Thank you.

Yes you are probably right Glenn this may not be the appropriate forum to discuss topics which by the sound of it are far removed form blacksmithing, but let's not discourage Young Archie in his endeavours to achieve well at school. He may well have misinterpreted the "Non-Blacksmithing" tag. But you were very gentle in your request :)
I'm not sure that Archie is advocating a method of raising children, merely "compiling" the stories that perhaps you and I or our parents were told in our youth. The purpose of the compilation seems a bit obscure and I bet there are a lot of other topics Archie could write about and still show Teach that he's mastering the Englich Language. Archie there are possibly a few forums around that discuss such things as you looking for other than this one.

As for raising children I have to beg to differ Glenn, by about a third. I reckon you only have about 7 years to mould a child into the adult you'ld like him or her to be.

And to relate it all back to blacksmithing. My son has accompanied me to most of my blacksmithing trips (demos, festivals etc) since he was about 4. I have never forced him into blacksmithing, just gave him every opportunity to get involved. It's not for me to decide what his hobby interest will be. Anyway as a result of these trips he has a terrific appreciation of what he can get into. He has mucked around with coopers, whip makers, traction engine enthusiasts, bush carpenters, shearers, spinners and weavers; the list goes on and on. His education has also benifited as has his general demeanour and confidence. Having to 'muscle in' on an adult discussion or whatever can be hard for a lad but he has found the gumption and managed. Strangely though his interest at the moment lies in juggling and riding a unicycle....what can you do eh :?

So my opinion? If you want your son or daughter to follow your passion for bashing up hot metal. Let him come to it of his own accord, be glad that he has, but not sad that he hasn't!

okay, I am very sorry about that, I should have thought befor I posted, it won't happen again. I misinterpreted the non blacksmithing. I have also deleted the request. I have changed the project to a more shel silverstein level, with chinldren who get tangled up in string, or who chew gum, and get their hands stuck to their shoes, and such things.
Sorry again,
Archie

Archie, I missed the part about this being a school project, and being at the request of the teacher.

The folks on the forum will try to assist with anything blacksmithing related, and assist with subjects that are unrelated to metal. They are a good group of people and very knowledgable.

Non-blacksmithing is for anything not directly related to blacksmithing or metal working. It is just a way to separate the subjects. It was the place for the post, just that the post did not fit the forum.

Thank you for withdrawing the request.
Glenn