I Forge Iron

On my trip last week to Virginia, Minnesota and the iron ore ranges, I stopped by Matchless Antiques in Michigan and picked up a bick I bought on the 'BAY a few months ago.

Specs: 275 lbs. 44 1/2" long. 27" tall. Post is 4"x4". Widest part of the top is 5".

dscn1504h.jpg

dscn1502i.jpg

dscn1505.jpg

I carried it over 1800 miles in the back on my SUV. Made the car ride better.

I know its not a FISHER, but it is a neat piece and the biggest bick I have ever seen. I think Steve told me it came from England in one of his loads.

I am planning on making a nice oak base for it, and eventually using it in my Forge. For now it will go in the museum.

So are you MNanvilman now also? My Dad grew up in Virginia, Minnesota. The family farm is now an open pit mine. Overall the area has changed drasticly in the last 25 years.

Not MnAnvilman. Back in NJ now. Amazing that almost everywhere in that area, the landscape has been altered by humans. Soon Rt. 53 will have to relocated so the mines can keep spreading. Hibbing already moved their town once.

Anvil content: I am sure that iron from the ranges is in most of our American made anvils. And most of the domestically made steel we work with.

"Anvil content: I am sure that iron from the ranges is in most of our American made anvils. And most of the domestically made steel we work with."
Ya got that right. Actually all those steep ridge-like hills that run for 100 miles across the three ranges are low grade ore waiting for a process to be free!
The same Iron Ore is a commom driveway surface up there in da woods.

"Anvil content: I am sure that iron from the ranges is in most of our American made anvils. And most of the domestically made steel we work with."
Ya got that right. Actually all those steep ridge-like hills that run for 100 miles across the three ranges are low grade ore waiting for a process to be free!
The same Iron Ore is a commom driveway surface up there in da woods.

There are actually a few pilot projects underway that are re-processing the 'waste' material from the last 100 years of mining. They are finding that there is still enough ferrous material in the waste to be profitable, 'maybe'. If these new processes work, they have an almost unlimited supply of material in the rock dumps. Just have to haul it.