I Forge Iron

Back from Touchstone

I got back from Touchstone yesterday.
What a fantastic week!!!
I took Glen Horr's "Irons in the Fire" course and it was amazing. Glen is a fantastic blacksmith and a great teacher. Though listed as a beginner class, two of us (out of 4) had previous experience. Glen would demo a specific skill or technique and then let us loose for the rest of the day to practice what we learned and/or persue other smithing. Glen was also willing to work with us on any project we wanted to try.

I learned so much this week ...
I learned how to work with tool steel
I finally learned how to heat treat and temper
I got to work on a power hammer
I learned how to make tongs
I learned how to make tools, and so much more.

I've never done so much smithing in so short a time.
I made some steak turners (presents for family), 6 punches, a hot chisel, a nail header, a viking grilling iron (which sold at auction), a scroll adjustment tool, and helped make a mastermyr style hammer, and helped make an anvil hardie hot-cut (all out of a jackhammer bit - W1 steel).

Touchstone is an amazing place - the blacksmith studio had 12 complete forge stations and the master forge was a beautiful stone forge (wish I had pictures but my camera died on me), and we had access to every tool I could imagine. I'm definitely planning to go again next year. I would recommend this to EVERYONE, no matter what your experience level.

I'm still sore ... but it feels so great.

Sam