I Forge Iron

Getting Started - Cheap

I just came back from a hammer in. While there I looked at just what it would cost to get a forge, vise and anvil to get started in blacksmithing.

For $150 you can get a nice pan forge with a blower

For $15 you can get a rail road anvil

The small vise is $20 the larger vise is $100.

$150 for forge and blower, $15 for an anvil, $20 for a vise = $185

But let's say you want a little better and have a couple extra dollars to spend.

The 175# anvil is $200

The large forge is $350

Forge $350, vise $100, Anvil $200 = $650.
Use the pan forge (above) and it brings the price down to $400.
Throw in a bag of coal and a match and you are in business.

Hammers and other tools are available.

These are real numbers from the fall of 2006. All the items were for sale and being sold.

Blueprint BP0300 shows you how to build your own forge, and other Blueprints show you how to build your own hammers, tongs, and other tools.

Looks like you found some stuff Glenn! Boy it sure did'nt come easy for me at first. It took me two years to find an anvil, but I found one at a barnsale for $65, was marked $100. Wieghs 2.1.17 and I know I'm lucky. My advice to other folks like me who are starting out is bite the bullet and pass up that $250 post vice (I did, was hard to do) but I found one for $40. We all have bills to pay so let the antiques dealer put his own kid through college without fleeceing you. Get involved with your local blacksmithing club (google [ABANA] Affiliates) and you will find folks to help you find tools at a fair price. More importantly you will now be among blacksmiths and your learning curve will take off like a N.A.S.A. launch. Enjoy the ride and keep on hammerin'. Dan:)