I Forge Iron

The Elegant Monster

mrkiddi

ok...so here it is after i put a Birch handle on my big knife! i think it looks good...better than taped up Rope.
i was wondering what you think of the knife:P i would love to get some criticism:)
it's made out of a Truck spring and the only thing i used to shape it and sharpen was an Angle grinder and some sandpaper:).
im pretty new at this so it's not a beauty but it works well.post-12245-051898600 1280269474_thumb.jppost-12245-051610200 1280269542_thumb.jppost-12245-097029200 1280269592_thumb.jp

Put a copper or brass guard or washer at the blade end, and a matching copper or brass cap to cover the horrendous nut and thread, then it will be truly eye catching. As it is it looks very nice, way better than it did earlier. Did you do some added work on the surface finish? It looks a lot cleaner.

Phil

Put a copper or brass guard or washer at the blade end, and a matching copper or brass cap to cover the horrendous nut and thread, then it will be truly eye catching. As it is it looks very nice, way better than it did earlier. Did you do some added work on the surface finish? It looks a lot cleaner.

Phil

That is exactly what i want to do:) im going to get some Brass tomorrow and make a Cap and a guard i am also going to Put some lacquer on the Handle to make it darker. Hopefully i will have a beautiful knife by the end of the week! but about the Surface finish... i think it's just the Camera, i used a different one for the other photos.

What Phil said!
Get yourself some files and some brass flat bar or even some brass hardware like a cap nut.Look in the plumbing section of the hardware store near you for heavy brass fittings that have an internal thread.You can carve or file a round tenon with a shoulder onto the end of your wood grip,thread the fitting on and then put a heavy brass washer over the tang(maybe with a thin black or other color spacer between the washer and the fitting and then spin on a heavy brass cap nut and shape everything with your files and sandpaper.The bit of brass bar and a fitting would work for a guard and ferrule on the blade end of the grip too.
Time to go shopping again,looks like.
Know anybody with a lathe that will let you play for a bit?

Speaking of brass can you buy brass bars in local places or is it something you have to order?

I have no idea as you didn`t post your location in your profile that appears to the left of each post.

Up here I can get brass,bronze and stainless locally but not everybody lives on the Maine coast,even though it may seem that way during this particular time of year. <_<