I Forge Iron

Copying is the best complement!

I have been struggling or basically avoiding trying to get decent slitting and drifting while using the "provided" holes in my anvil. Since Clinton and I rebuilt my PW I have wanted to do these upgrades.

The punch/ drift plate is just 1/2" CR plate with a 1/2" stud plug welded to it. I drilled 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", 5/8", 3/4" and 1" holes. The stud fits the pritchel and business goes into the hardy. Works really well and was simple to make.

The tool try was made with 1/2" round, 1x1x1/8 angle and a Brass plate in the bottom (all I had). I built it so the top of the angle was the same as the top of the drift plate. This helps when working longer bits and I can put magnets or possibly DeStaCo Clamps to help hold things steady.

I punched and drifted a 3/8" hole after I finished the plate and it was supper easy and turned out excellent! I have been putting off several pieces until I made these simple tools.

post-6253-060379500 1280200054_thumb.jpg

post-6253-058535600 1280200088_thumb.jpg

post-6253-032405000 1280200250_thumb.jpg

Nice set up! I made a similar one after visiting Brian Brazeal. They sure come in handy for punching, slitting etc. By the way, nice set up, your space looks very professional and efficient, but far too clean!

Neat trick , I'll have a go myself.

I like the face plate as a table:)

Looks good Fe, "dial a ho" I think is what Brian calls it. I need to make one myself, the anvil looks good and Is that forge burning over there? Good to see you getting some time to forge something, I do want to get back up there so we can get some forging done, kind of financially embarrassed at the moment, not broke but badly bent for sure.

Dial-a-ho, I like it :D I know all about being financially embarrassed! My wife reminds me all the time.... Forging, yes. Seems when he outside temp hit 90 deg. I need to forge.... I think the heat is getting to me :blink:

That face plate table is great, I have a machinist vice I modified so I can mount it to it Supper solid! Next will be the post vice but I need to make a spring first ;)

If you want to do repeated slitting & drifting- this system can't be beat for hand powered.

Dial-a-ho, I like it :D I know all about being financially embarrassed! My wife reminds me all the time.... Forging, yes. Seems when he outside temp hit 90 deg. I need to forge.... I think the heat is getting to me :blink:

That face plate table is great, I have a machinist vice I modified so I can mount it to it Supper solid! Next will be the post vice but I need to make a spring first ;)

If you want to do repeated slitting & drifting- this system can't be beat for hand powered.

Yep cool tool.... Being from Id Ah Ho I got the wrong impression when I read Dial A Ho..

Looks good Fe, "dial a ho" I think is what Brian calls it. I need to make one myself, the anvil looks good and Is that forge burning over there? Good to see you getting some time to forge something, I do want to get back up there so we can get some forging done, kind of financially embarrassed at the moment, not broke but badly bent for sure.

I said "hole". Dial a hole, and I got that idea from George Dunajski.