I Forge Iron

Atlas 10-F

pkrankow

I have an Atlas 10-F that I just got, but the tool post is missing the rocker.

Could someone take dimensions off a rocker so I have a starting point to make one, I am not interested in buying a whole post for one part.

I have some milling collets that I am sure have been used with this machine, they are on the tool board that is attached. I cannot locate the part that threads to the collet to pull it into the headstock. Could someone post a picture so I know what I am looking for next time I got to my mother in law's and can look. This lathe used to be her father's, and is in generally excellent shape. It is the same as a Craftsman 10-F.

Thanks
Phil

Edit: The part for the collets is called a "draw bar" and Ebay has some good pictures.

Edit: I shot from the hip, compared the space to stock I had and went crazy on a piece of 1/2 inch square. My final item is about 5/16 wide, circular section from about 4 1/2 diameter (I used a grinding disc as a template, it fit the shape of the washer), 1/2 inch at the thickest, and 2 3/8 long.

• 2 months later...

My spectacular wife let me buy a 10F for my birthday this week! :D

My rocker is roughly 1.8" long, and 0.375" wide. The thickest part is 0.27, give or take, and the ends are 0.115" and 0.10" thick.

The straight side is textured. Looks like a sort of inverse honeycomb - raised round dots on a hexagonal grid. They stand out maybe 5 mils? They're on perhaps 0.1" centers. I suspect one could grind down an old wood rasp to get this same gripper effect.

• 3 weeks later...

If you are going to spend much time using the lathe, do yourself a favor and chuck the single post tool holder with the rocker into the scrap pile and buy a small turret type tool holder. Even a cheap one will work better and you can set up multiple bits and not have to change everything each time you do a different turning operation. If you use the single post toolholder, every time you set the lathe tool up for a different operation you are going to have to relocate the point of the turning tool to the center of the workpiece or just slightly below, which is a royal pain in the rear.

Or even beter get a quick change Aloris style tool post. It's way easier to adjust the cutter height. I wouldn't throw the lantern tool post any further than my tool box though it will come in handy for some jobs probably the day "after" you pitch it out. :)

I was reading today about how large drills tend to rotate in the tailstock...a very bad thing. The easiest fix is to take a drive dog, lock that on the drill bit, then lock a piece of bar stock in the lantern style toolpost for the dog to ride against.

I suppose this can be done with a holder for the QCTP too.

Phil

• 3 weeks later...