I Forge Iron

Propane Burner Flares in the Forge?

Robert Simmons

Greetings,

I am working on a forge designed from a 30 gallon barrel with 3 inches of ceramic blanket (coated with castolyte) and 2 inches of cast castolyte on the sides and top. The bottom will have three inches of castolyte cast. I had planed to make my burners enter so that they come in about halfway up the arch that will be in the center and then point up at the roof of the arch to promote a swirling effect in the forge and reduce back pressure. I also didnt want them comming in at the top because I dont want heat backing up into them if possible. I had even thought of having them come up not through the floor but just above the floor pointing mostly up.

Anyway, my test torches have cast iron flares on them to hold the flame and reduce the gas pressure enough to retain the flame on the torch. What I am wondering is if I should include the flares when I put the torches in the forge. The problem of course would be melting or other deformation of the flares. I had already decided to have the torches stop one inch short of the inside wall of the castolyte to protect them from the heat. Perhaps even 2 inches would be fine. I could cut the torch holes so that the holes are only a very small amount larger than the actual burner pipe. In this manner perhaps I can make a cone out at the end of the cast castolyte tube to act as a flame holder in the forge itself. Imagine the pipe has only a 1/4" tolerance with the tunnel in the cast wall and at the interior side of the tunnel the 3/4" flares to 1" cone.

I have heard that some poeple use stainless steel flares. However, I dont understand why when stainless has a lower melting point than black iron. What am I missing here? Do they put the flares all the way in the forge? Thanks a lot for the feedback.

-- Robert

P.S. On I have a cool test showing the effect of gas jet placement in a venturi driven burner. If people are interested I will record it and post a vid.

There are more properties than just melting temperature to take account of else we would be using platinum flares!

In this case it's the resistance to degradation through oxidation that plays a heavier part than just the melting temperature.

So you dont think taking the flare off and flaring with castolyte would work ? I wonder what a solid Tungsten flare would cost :)

WHERE THE HECK DID YOU GET THAT FROM WHAT I WROTE?

Cast refractory flares built into the sidewall of the furnace lining should work fine. I did not address that part at all in my previous post; just that there are other factors besides melting point in choosing materials for flares.

WHERE THE HECK DID YOU GET THAT FROM WHAT I WROTE?

Cast refractory flares built into the sidewall of the furnace lining should work fine. I did not address that part at all in my previous post; just that there are other factors besides melting point in choosing materials for flares.

Hmm I tried to read between the lines. Since you didnt mention it, I assumed it was a rejection of the idea. Thanks for clarifying.