I Forge Iron

coke forge proportions

Nik Hintz

With the arrival of a half ton of coke, my fuel choice has been made... Now I just need to build something to burn it in.
So far, the only aspects of the design I am reasonably set on are the basic materials, (mostly because I already have them)which are as follows: steel for the shell and structure, 2600 degree kaowool for the back up insulation, and a 3000 degree high alumina castable for the lining. However, I have not been able to find any plans on the web, so once again, I call on your collective knowledge.
what I am looking for is something that I can put in the back of a truck if I need to (needing 2 people to lift it is not ideal, but ok) I am leaning toward a linear fire rather than a single round tuyer, and it will most likely have an electric blower.
Any help would be great.

With the arrival of a half ton of coke, my fuel choice has been made... Now I just need to build something to burn it in.
So far, the only aspects of the design I am reasonably set on are the basic materials, (mostly because I already have them)which are as follows: steel for the shell and structure, 2600 degree kaowool for the back up insulation, and a 3000 degree high alumina castable for the lining. However, I have not been able to find any plans on the web, so once again, I call on your collective knowledge.
what I am looking for is something that I can put in the back of a truck if I need to (needing 2 people to lift it is not ideal, but ok) I am leaning toward a linear fire rather than a single round tuyer, and it will most likely have an electric blower.
Any help would be great.

If you go to our Guilds website www.blacksmithsguild.com and send me a personal email on the courses link, I will send you some details in an attachment that will give you all the info and pics required for making a bottom blast forge.

This design is light enough to lift on your own, we use them for forging competitions and show demonstrations.

You do not need insulation or kaowool in a solid fuel forge