I Forge Iron

Drywall vs metal for interior walls

Coal dust in the flooring is only nominally flammable. If you had a pile that was all coal dust then it might sustain combustion, but little bits of dust mixed with clinker and dirt won't produce enough fuel in any one spot to sustain combustion. Plus, a lot of that dust is actually ash and already burnt.

Did I read it right? Eight inches of airspace inside the wall? (edit: eight inches clearance on the stuff shielding the forge.)

Wow, I'm really lucky to have a brick building.

Coal dust in the flooring is only nominally flammable. If you had a pile that was all coal dust then it might sustain combustion, but little bits of dust mixed with clinker and dirt won't produce enough fuel in any one spot to sustain combustion. Plus, a lot of that dust is actually ash and already burnt.

Did I read it right? Eight inches of airspace inside the wall? (edit: eight inches clearance on the stuff shielding the forge.)

Wow, I'm really lucky to have a brick building.

To clarify: My chimney is a side draft 13 square. There is 8 inches of gap on all four sides where it penetrates the wall. This larger hole is lined with cement board on the edges and covered with metal inside and out. I took the spacing that was provided by the existing vertical studs, i just cut one stud out and framed the chimney out like it was a window.

The the stuff on the floor is whatever comes out of my ash trap, some amount of which is the coal dust that is in the bottom of the firepot when cleaning out. I might start just bucketing this instead of trying to make a floor out of it.

I uses ribbed metal roofing in the area surrounding my forge, ceiling also. After sustained long forge sessions, I can put my hand on the metal, it is still that cool. Leave plenty of space around the forge. I chose not to insulate, as East TN is temperate. You can see the metal surround in the pictures.

post-2510-0-04114200-1289653578_thumb.jp