I Forge Iron

back surgery

Donnie

I've had some pretty bad back pain for the last two years. I finally went to the doctor about it, since it has gotten unbearable. I went for an MRI yesterday. The doctor called this morning to tell me, I have some ruptured disc. He said he will set up an appointment with a surgeon for next week. Has any one experienced this. If so, what can I expect as in recovery time? Is it reasonable to expect 100% recovery, or will there be limitations?

I've had some pretty bad back pain for the last two years. I finally went to the doctor about it, since it has gotten unbearable. I went for an MRI yesterday. The doctor called this morning to tell me, I have some ruptured disc. He said he will set up an appointment with a surgeon for next week. Has any one experienced this. If so, what can I expect as in recovery time? Is it reasonable to expect 100% recovery, or will there be limitations?

I compressed 2 vertebra and herniated a disc and could barely walk.I was given a choice between quick surgery and slow recovery wearing a brace.
My DR went to the trouble to explain what had happened in detail and told me I had shattered the cartilage as though I had dropped a dinner plate onto a tile floor.If he took the offending piece out there would be immediate relief but also more room for the other pieces to float around and sooner or later another would cause a problem and I`d need another round on the table and so on till there were not enough pieces to support my spine and then it meant a fusion of the vertebra and permanent loss of range of motion plus other complications.
It took over a year for me to heal properly but I continued to work(while wearing a brace) during that time.
I`d ask your DR about all the options before you agree to surgery as every time I have been cut on I lost something with no hope of getting it back.I`ve had both knees cut.over 6 surgeries to my right shoulder,neck and arm and while each one helped I lost something and never came back more than 80% from any one of them.
While each person/case is different it ALWAYS pays to explore all options and maybe even get a second opinion before letting anyone put a knife to you.
Just my non-medical,first hand experienced opinion.

I have had two back surgeries, The first one helped to a certain extant still wasn't at 100%. Second surgery they fused two vertebra together and I lost some range of motion and walk with a cane. Still in pain, really limits what I can do. I am able to still pound the iron but not as long and its hard to bend over if I drop something, magnet with long handle helps. Wish I didn't have the second operation. Good luck the back is the hardest part of the body for Doctors to figure out.