I Forge Iron

600 lb Fisher

Went to Maryland today and picked up a nice 600 lb Fisher anvil. Not cheap, but rare. Put it in my Chevy Trailblazer and it sank 4 inches. Secured it to the trailer hitch in case of sudden stops(did not want to become one with the anvil)with a two inch nylon strap. Home, cleaned up, and on display in the museum. Now only missing the 700 lb anvil. Some day I will find that one.

post-10347-007568300 1278207155_thumb.jp

I left it the way I got it. I think it has most of its original paint on it. The museum is insulated and closed so not much is needed to stop rust. A light wipe down of any light oil on the bare metal does it for a year.

First attempt at posting photo. How do I resize it for this forum?

Nice find-good addition for the collection. I do have an question though,hopefully you don't mind me hijacking the thread, which is- Are you going to cast up some of those nice swage blocks that you have the patterns for? I've been hoping for a while that you will :) .
Mark Emig

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings, That is an amazing anvil. I am curious about the small one on the dolly. I have one that is very similar, it is even green. Be well.

THe small anvil on the dolly is a STAR anvil. Has a five point star cast in. Made in Trenton, NJ from 1856 to 1870. Similar to a Fisher, but not exactly.