I Forge Iron

in the market for a torch

I'm looking for either a oxy-propane or oxy-acetelyne torch. I'm wondering which one you guys think would be the better option. I'm thinking to go with the propane torch since I have extra propane tanks. I would just be doing simple heating for tennons, rivets, wrapping, etc. and simple cutting of material. I am also wondering what I would need for a propane torch since I am having a hard time finding specifics.
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Aaron

If you already have propane bottles, then makes sense to go with oxy/propane, saves the hassle and cost of renting bottles of acetylene. There's ongoing debates on which is better for heating/cutting, but you definitely won't be able to weld with oxy/propane. I have previously used oxy/acetylene, but when I moved workshops I decided to not bother renting the acetylene anymore and bought a Murex Saffire oxy/propane set. I find that it takes a bit more time to get going when cutting, but otherwise it works for me.

Try your local welding supplier, they'll be able to advise.

Hope that helps :)

Colleen

I'm looking for either a oxy-propane or oxy-acetelyne torch. I'm wondering which one you guys think would be the better option. I'm thinking to go with the propane torch since I have extra propane tanks. I would just be doing simple heating for tennons, rivets, wrapping, etc. and simple cutting of material. I am also wondering what I would need for a propane torch since I am having a hard time finding specifics.
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Aaron

Aaron go to Mohawk Welding supplies - it's on Elgin, right across from Mohawk College.
They're open until 5:00pm and the guys there will answer all your questions and tell you what you want to know.
Cheers.
Sam

I've used propane instead of acetylene for years. You can't weld with it, although it gets hot enough, the gases produced don't seem to shield the molten metal. It's fine for brazing, cutting and general heating and you don't have to keep expensive acetylene bottles.
The only difference between acet & prop torches is the nozzle, which is cheap and easy to change.
Beware, when buying a new torch that the inlet fittings match those available in your area. I bought one off e=bay once (only because it was cheap!) and couldn't even get a name for the threads, never mind finding a left hand-connector.

I have an older Craftsman oxy/act cutting torch and gauges for sale $50 + shipping. I was told that the gauges were made by Harris for Sears.No hose. Needs new tips. You can buy new hose for $20. Bob post-91-063870700 1276816997_thumb.jpgpost-91-073217500 1276817341_thumb.jpg