I Forge Iron

Screw Press

eric sprado

I'm trying REALLY hard to post pictures of my century old screw(not fly) press. It is forerunner of today's bearing press. Top lever lets it act as an arbor press after ram is screwed to proper height. Side lever works a dog that engages screw for extra oomph if needed at the end of stroke. Any ideas for tooling or any shared experience with these?

post-5278-006990200 1276665785_thumb.jpg

post-5278-095870900 1276665914_thumb.jpg

They work well for what they are designed to do and that is slow,controlled application of moderate force in a set direction.Design your tasks and tooling with that in mind and you`ll be pleased with it.
If you`re looking for either a lot of power or speed then you will be disappointed in the results with this particular tool.
Hydraulics or air/hydraulic will give you more power and a fly or punch type press with give you quick repeatable actions.
It really comes down to this, for best results you really should use the most appropriate tools and tooling.