I Forge Iron

Peter'sValley Blacksmith Pig Roast & Iron Smelt

Today was the 6th annual Pig roast at Peter's valley blacksmith School
It was also the site of a 3 day Iron smelting, Dick Sargent and a group of Smelters(sorry i don't know their names) were making real wrought Iron. I think the techical name was a bloom. It was an all day event, But it was realy neat to watch and take part. The weather was good the food wad great and the people were all fantastic. A great band played all day as people shared in the great experience and shared knowledge of blacksmiths and Smelters as well as many finer points of forging (PS the ice cold beer was excellent to..Grin)
Smiths like Thomas Ryan gave Awesome demos. Showing use of power hammer and anvil. Working a heavy section of 2x2 down to beautiful diamond pattern then then back to square and forging a taper sprial pattern that was realy sharp. Also a large spear point and explaining how to reach desired looks. Then he and the Smelters also demo the forging of the wrought bloom to a billet ready for use.
Towards the end of the day Bruce ran a great auction to benefit Peter's Valley Blacksmith program. Then raffled off an Anvil, a post leg vice and a cone mandrel.
This is a really great event for adults and kids to be a part of. If your out this way next year be sure to check it out. Here a few photos of of the blacksmithing & smelting activities.
TIM

933.attach

934.attach

935.attach

936.attach

937.attach

938.attach

939.attach

940.attach

941.attach

942.attach

Where: Peter's Valley is in Layton NJ (Northern New Jersey) where there are still open spaces and the country is Beautiful.(Grin)

What: If this were the late 60's, it could very respectfully be called an Artist Colony.

How they describe themselves: " Peters Valley is a nationally recognized center for fine craft. Founded in 1970, we are located in rural, northwest New Jersey in the scenic Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area." They said it best!!!

It is a great place to visit & learn from. They host many different workshops by the Industries names as well as locals, from raw begginer to really seasoned pro stuff they have a class to suite.
Blacksmithing is just one of the many, but It is the Best in my opinion(Grin)!!!! The Blacksmith program is run by Dick Sargent ( I think he has posted here and has a few blueprints as well and a great guy!!!), previously I know John Raiz & Megan Crowley were department heads also great people. They have had instructing besides Dick Sargent, Jim Wycoff, Zack Noble, Bill Epps was there in June, Lucian Avery, Randy McDaniels, just to mention a few sorry I can't remember any more. And the list of workshops and special instructors changes with every new year.
The facility is neat, it is a couple of big barns set aside for blacksmithing and such. I believe they now have 8 or 10 forge stations, a huge variety of hand tools as well as a tredle hammer and a couple of power hammers, welders, saws (like blacksmith heaven). Most of the shop is Coal forge but they do have a gas setup also. Many proffesional smiths stop in to say hi durring courses and are always willing to answer questions or show a few things to us rookies.

Blckbear, Ferrous, I think it is well worth a trip for the "Pig Iron Fest & Smelt" there is lodging very close as well as some stuff on site. The smelting alone was a site to see and learn from. It would also make a great trip to line up one of there 3 or 5 day courses, there are also 2 day weekend courses as well for those with less time.

Sorry I rambled, but I do enjoy the place when I have time to attend
Here is the web site: Peters Valley Workshops
TIM