I Forge Iron

Hello from London, England

JoeSmith

Hello - I work in IT in an investment bank and have done for 6 years. My brain flatly refuses to understand what banking's about and why people find it interesting.

So, last month, I went on a blacksmithing course run by Pete Parkinson because I've wanted to be a blacksmith since I was about 5. I loved every minute of it - even down to the blisters and I'm going to stick with it. I'd love to run my own forge one day so, no doubt, I'll be asking for a lot of help from you experts out there and I apologise in advance for the basic questions!

Cheers

Joe

Welcome Joe! I'm an IT guy too, although I work in academia instead of the corporate world.

One of the smiths I've been learning from said a while back, "Blacksmithing is just like programming computers, you just gotta know your problem, formulate a plan or method to accomplish it, then follow those steps."

I love computers and technology, but the longer I sit behind a desk, the less excited I am buy it. These days I constantly find myself thinking about how I'd rather be in the shop, or pounding on some hot iron... Good thing tonight is shop night!

Anyway, welcome aboard! We're glad to have ya.

So, last month, I went on a blacksmithing course run by Pete Parkinson.....

Joe

Lucky man!

I have been trying to get myself onto one of his courses for ages.
Lack of time / lack of funds / other commitments always seem to conspire against it.

So, from one of the small handfull of other Limeys here, welcome. This is a good place and you will learn a lot, just don't be afraid to ask.

one_rod.