I Forge Iron

Fuller Lines on Blades

blkbear

In certain blade designs, both knife and sword, I have seen a fuller line down the centre of both sides of the blade. Does this have a specific name as it applies to knives and swords? Does it serve a specific purpose for the blade other than just a visual element?
Thanks

Brian in Ottawa

Brian, to my knowledge, the fuller line in the sword is still called a fuller line, but some people wrongly refer to it as a "blood-groove". In actuallity, the purpose of the groove was not to let blood run off the blade, or to help pull the blade out of a victim. The fuller in the blade actually made the blade stronger, and lighter. I'll have more for you later (after class)

The fullers on a kukri have their own "special name". They're called "aunlo bal", meaning something like "finger of strength". The aunlo bal is usually deep and narrow, and really close to the spine. The kukri fullers usually run just from the handle to the "corner" of the blade. Kukris can also have larger fullers called "chirras" that are in the actual "belly" of the blade.

That kukri combines the two into two smooth flowing fullers.