I Forge Iron

Got a lead on a biggun

Hello all, I have been lurking on this site and the N.W.B.A. site for quite a bit and slowly gathering tools as I come across them. I have gotten an old buffalo forge, some hammers and even abit of scrap. I think I may have just found an Anvil as well. I found this on the local craigslist. No name or weight given, but asking $350 for it. I put in an offer of $400 and am hoping for the best.

Here is the anvil
post-11567-097368000 1274982780_thumb.jp

and here are the stats with it:
Table 22 1/2"x6", overall length 37", height 14" Hardy 1 1/2 “square.

Any one have any idea what type of anvil this, or what the weight may be based on the dimensions?
I figure that for the size, even with pitting, there are bound to be some clean surfaces to use. Has to be better than my current chunk of railroad tie...

Thanks all
Matt (bluemamoo)

Well, my thought was to hopefully get the person to sell it to me without waiting to see if any other offers came through that were better. I made the assumption off of the picture that this was anywhere from a 300 to 500 pound anvil. figure it would easily be worth the $400.

Doesn't seem to matter as I have yet to hear back from the individual selling it. I think MonsterMetal beat me to it :)

Well, my thought was to hopefully get the person to sell it to me without waiting to see if any other offers came through that were better. I made the assumption off of the picture that this was anywhere from a 300 to 500 pound anvil. figure it would easily be worth the $400.

Doesn't seem to matter as I have yet to hear back from the individual selling it. I think MonsterMetal beat me to it :)

Your spot on offering more... most all my best deals where by paying just a bit more than the asking price on something that was a deal... Puts you at the top of the list... One of my better deals was a vise lot.... it was $100 or best offer, I called the lady she said there was someone coming to look at them right now... I said well my offer is $300... so the guy got there, went to hand her $100, she said sorry it said best offer and I have a standing $300 offer.... He went home and I got a Wilton C3, a Wilton 6" machinist vise and a 5" columbian I sold the C3 for $800 and the 6" is still bolted down in my shop.... Sure I paid three times what she listed, do you think that was a bad idea?

Another lesson.... Dont ever tell someone your coming to look... Tell them your coming to buy... If your coming to buy, most times if someone else calls they will say its been sold... If your coming to look... .well your just looking and they are free to sell it to someone else in the mean time...

Another lesson.... Dont ever tell someone your coming to look... Tell them your coming to buy... If your coming to buy, most times if someone else calls they will say its been sold... If your coming to look... .well your just looking and they are free to sell it to someone else in the mean time...

I hadn't thought of that, but I like it!

Every time I have answered these ads, and said I would take it at the listed price, I have gotten the item. I have also had people tell me that they had gotten higher offers, but because they had already told me I had it they turned them down. I usually explain to them that I am a long ways out of Vegas, so it will take me a couple of hours to get there. They know I am serious just by the fact that I am driving in to get it. When I see Or Best Offer, Or Nearest Offer that means they will go less than the asking price. The only time I run a price up is at an auction. Let me take that back, I did offer $100 more on a Japanese take down Arisaka once where the buyer didn't have all the money. The dealer (who I knew) just said, sorry I already made the deal. I am glad that he did say that, as I was thinking later how I would feel to have a great deal like that pulled out from under me. Glad he was honorable in his dealings.

Anyhow I got to get off to work. <_<

I was up early one morning and cruising CL as my brother had asked me to look for a bike for him.
I found a new add for a custom HD at what looked like rock bottom dollar,bad pics though.The add said call any time so...
Long story short,My brother paid $5500 dollars for a machine with $8000 worth of S&S motor alone in it.I called,asked a few questions and immediately paid him a $500 non-refundable deposit via Paypal.
I drove to the guy`s house near Boston a few days later to pick up the bike and spent the better part of the afternoon talking metal and racing with a guy who`s garage and drive looked like a speed shop/museum/car show.He told me he was still getting calls and one guy even offered him money for my contact info.
After taking it in partial trade for one of his cars he was selling it because his son had his eye on it and had taken it out without his permission.He was afraid that hotrod bike would kill his son.
I gave him the $5500 my brother had wired me and told him to keep the deposit.He handed $500 back and asked me to keep in touch.

Many times deals are about more than money.

I am a solid believer in paying a bit more than the asking price when its an smokin deal.. By doing that I bought a Bridgeport mill for $200... A Square wheel grinder for $100.... Many other things... And now a big anvil :P I wouldn't be going to get this today If I had just been willing to pay his asking price (which was or best offer by the way, best offer works up or down) I was not the first or the closest and I would bet he probably had 50+ emails on it especially after it got posted here... I am a professional tool buyer and I can tell you you cant make money selling tools.... You make money buying tools... You make the money as soon as you make the deal... If you dont buy it or you dont buy it right it doesn't matter how good of salesman you think you are, you'll go broke.

The asking price has nothing to do with the purchase, and people respond well when you want to give them more than what they are asking for... And if its a great deal, its a great deal... It they are asking $50 and its worth $1000 you wouldn't pay $100 to make sure you got it?

Let me put it this way.... If a guy had a $100 bill for sale and he was asking $20 for it... would you get in line at his front door with the 20 other guys willing to pay his asking price for it or would you just give him a call and say hey I really need that $100, How about to put me at the top of your list I give you $50 for it... He got over double what he wanted... What you bought is still worth twice what you paid and you couldn't have bought it if you went and stood in his line....