I Forge Iron

Homemade forge

15 hours ago, Frosty said:

I don't remember Chris, I was too fresh from my own TBI and not tracking well. That doesn't matter, I'll say a prayer for him and his and another offering my thanks for his service and sacrifices. 

Frosty I am down in the South East Florida area. Davie FL 33325

The requested refractory brick item is as follows;

PN: HHB671

DESC: BRICK,REFRACTORY,STRAIGHT

NSN:9350-00-240-6794           

OR 

NSN:9350-00-599-9464

9350-00-599-9464 - STRAIGHT REFRACTORY BRICK, HHB671, 00-599-9464, 005999464 | WBParts 

QTY:21EA ( OR MIN PRODUCTION ETC )

Wow, has the pendulum swung the other way!:o 

Have you written "stock requests" before? The information needed only reaches the above level once you've located a supplier and are ordering specific products. When you're looking for the product you need to use more generic common terms and specs. 

For example the person on the phone needs to know the temperature range and size. Brick sizes are full or common. The specifics for common full size are, 2 1/4" x 4 1/2" x 9". Split brick is half thickness or 1" thick. Fire brick is Hard or Insulating Fire Brick (IFB.) and they come in temperature ranges from fireplace up to 3,000f. Temp ranges go higher but those are specialty bricks. 

Looking for a supplier is best done on the telephone, the internet sucks for asking questions. Try calling masonry supplies or HVAC service or supply companies. If they don't carry or sell to the public they will know who does. Have a note pad handy and be pleasant, the lady who answers the phone will know more about what the company does than the owner or president. ;) Remember the person you're talking to is probably busy so don't waste their time with detailed descriptions of what you're making, etc. I ask if they have a minute for some questions right after introducing myself. We're building a brick furnace type forge that will reach 3,000f. Do you carry common brick that will work for this? That's just a for instance, not a specific suggestion.

I better call this good or I'll go into a long ramble, I used to do phone searches for odd ball things all the time, it got to be fun.

Frosty The Lucky.

Strongly recommend you be specific on whether you want "hard" or "insulating" furnace brick when you make you inquiries.  Also, Ceramic supply houses are good sources for insulating fire bricks, even online...  Google search for "insulating fire brick for sale" should get you some good hits, but be sure to use at least 2600 or 2800 degree selections.  Surprisingly even Walmart appears to carry them in boxes of (6) with refractory cement for joints.