I Forge Iron

Economic coal shake up

Biggundoctor, I live here in Northern Utah and we get our coke from Christensen Brothers in Spanish Fork Utah. They get it from the east coast. It can be bought in 1 ton bags about the same size mentioned above 4ft by 4ft on a pallet. Also can be bought in smaller bags about 50lbs.I have bought a 1ton sack before and it will fill about 7 to almost 8 55gal barrels. It does very some.
Gaylan

We used to buy coal in metal drums from one of our guild members. The coal was essentially coal dust and small pieces 1/4 inch and smaller (fines), so that might affect the weight, but our barrels supposedly held 400 pounds.

We paid $100 for the coal and $20 for the barrel. The coal came from the Cadomin area West of Edmonton. We have used up all our supply, and have been searching for a new suppliy. I tried the Gregg River and Cardinal River coal companies and they are not interested in selling anything less than a train load. I am going to try the other source at Grande Cache to see if they will sell us a truck load. We are currently buying smithing coal from Home Hardware at about $60 for a 50 lb bag of east coast coal. Excellent to work with, but a bit pricy.

-Don- Western Canadian Blacksmiths Guild

I think ebay would be cheaper than that Home Hardware store

If your in the Atlanta area check out Sidney Lee welding supply http://www.sidneylee.com/ they carry Kimmels Premium Bituminous Blacksmith coal from Wiconisco Pa the price is $15.00 a 50lb bag

I came home with a truck load of coal. It is as clean as water and nigh on as hot as coke~! At this price, I may not go back to WV until the elderberry wine is ready!
THANK YOU!

I came home with a truck load of coal. It is as clean as water and nigh on as hot as coke~! At this price, I may not go back to WV until the elderberry wine is ready!
THANK YOU!

Glad you like it ...just don't leave the bag out in the sun as it will rip open...made that mistake.

• 3 weeks later...

I guess I'm lucky, there is a man who will sell coal by the pickup truck bed load about 2 miles from my home. There is also about a foot thick seam of coal that is exposed behind my house. I also have picked up half bed fulls from beside the road where a coal truck has to dump some due to being caught overloaded.