I Forge Iron

your wisdom please :)

I would divert those customers to a whitesmith or a blacksmith with no sense of humour, also, I think if a hammer that person works is 100 years old or more then I would assume that it has been given fair treatment, call me an old (@!#!*$) stick in the mud and theres older ones round here, but respect from any perspective is the way forward. Love the ones your with! Treat yourself and your hammer fair.

Last year I did a little over 300 feet of hammer textured ½ X ½ for a railing job. I hammered the corners cold then did the sides hot. I did this all with a hand held hammer. I do not plan on repeating that experience again. I have another railing job that is going to have hammer textured steel. I am going to buy 20 ft lengths of it from King Architectural. I realize you live in the UK but it might be worth it to just buy it in lengths already done for you.

Here is the link:

http://www.kingmetals.com/Default.aspx?Page=Home

Josh

• 3 weeks later...

Did you get the job? If so how did it go?

I have hit stuff cold with my 25Kg Anyang. I can't say that I noticed any bad effects on my joints!

I have the Big Blu DVD on power hammer techniques. They show texturing cold. I don't know what the difference would be between a Big Blu and an Anyang.

It must just be a matter of physics. If the steel is cold then yes it must be harder on the dies but are we arguing the number of angels on a pinhead? Will the dies actually be damaged? Mine don't appear to be.