I Forge Iron

My new treadle hammer

This is my new treadle hammer. I bought it from a friend a few weeks ago. It's well built and hits hard. The base in which the bottom die sits upon is solid to the ground. This hammer is HEAVY and was hard to move between my son and I.

http://ironclad.shutterfly.com/45

Thanks Bras. This hammer was totally designed and built by a metal fab guy. He's a friend of the friend I bought it from. (Hope that made sense.) I met the designer once, a real smart guy. Anyway, the friend I bought it from is selling his house and is going to travel with his wife for a year or so, he offered to sell it to me and I couldn't pass up the deal considering how well it's built. I especially like the "I" beam construction, really adds rigidity, so it doesn't wobble during operation. The dies line up perfectly, and the "inline" operation, in my opinion is the way to go.

This is my new treadle hammer. I bought it from a friend a few weeks ago. It's well built and hits hard. The base in which the bottom die sits upon is solid to the ground. This hammer is HEAVY and was hard to move between my son and I.

http://ironclad.shutterfly.com/45

That whomper stomper Treadle hammer looks mighty nice,do you find it to work to all your needs.Did you have plans or build her out of your head,looks well made.

Thanks Hillbilly. I haven't had enough time with the hammer yet to use it to it's potential. I have lots of plans though.

Actually I didn't build it. A friend of a friend built it and I bought it from the latter. I couldn't pass up the deal considering how well it was made. I have been buying spring dies from Grant at the NWBA conferences and I will use some of these in the treadle hammer. One die I will be using soon is the grape vine die since I have a project coming up with grape vines as part of the design. If anything, it will be a good leg work out !! :D