I Forge Iron

End of NETs at Hereford

http://traditionalcraftsblog.blogspot.com/2010/04/closure-of-new-entrants-training-scheme.html

This is a bit of news that may have slipped below the radar here in the UK. It will be a real shame if nothing can be done to get the funding reinstated.

Paul Allen teaches smithing on this NETS, this is one talented man, he has work in the Victoria and Albert museum London.
And he also has the gift of teaching. It would be a right blow if this folded, I know quite a few that are real keen to get on this course.

It's just not there in England that programs like this are being cut, it is here too. The rural or industrial arts are no longer considered essential for the success of the Western World, these are considered Third World skills. We are struggling with illegal immigration over here as you are there as these are the ones that can provide these skills at a reduced labor rate. I don't know what our legislators think they are doing by eliminating ever course of study that requires a person to use their hands, not everyone wants to work and live in a cubicle sitting in front of a computer screen. :blink: