I Forge Iron

Tong experiment

Iron Clad

Today I forged these tongs for no other reason but to experiment and see how well they worked. I saw tongs like these on another web site and thought I would give it a go.

I used 3/4 X 3/8 stock from my scrap bin. Total length is 14.5 inches. After forging the business end I hammered out the reins. I stopped forge welding reins on tongs along time ago, they seem to last longer now that I forge them out.

These are a lot different then the standard tongs I usually make, I probably will not make another, however it was fun! :D

I probably could have made at least 2 pair of standard tongs in the time it took me to make these. I will say though that they are heavy duty and hold large stock very well.

What do ya think??

PS. SORRY FOR THE LARGE PICTURE. I STILL HAVEN'T FIGURED OUT HOW TO RESIZE PICTURES ON THIS FORUM. I TRIED TO POST TO THE GALLERY TO RESIZE BUT IT DIDN'T WORK. I'M SURE I DID SOMETHING WRONG.

***EDIT: LETS TRY IT THIS WAY...***
http://ironclad.shutterfly.com/40

post-11422-12710387698709_thumb.jpg

Today I forged these tongs for no other reason but to experiment and see how well they worked. I saw tongs like these on another web site and thought I would give it a go.

I used 3/4 X 3/8 stock from my scrap bin. Total length is 14.5 inches. After forging the business end I hammered out the reins. I stopped forge welding reins on tongs along time ago, they seem to last longer now that I forge them out.

These are a lot different then the standard tongs I usually make, I probably will not make another, however it was fun! :D

I probably could have made at least 2 pair of standard tongs in the time it took me to make these. I will say though that they are heavy duty and hold large stock very well.

What do ya think??

PS. SORRY FOR THE LARGE PICTURE. I STILL HAVEN'T FIGURED OUT HOW TO RESIZE PICTURES ON THIS FORUM. I TRIED TO POST TO THE GALLERY TO RESIZE BUT IT DIDN'T WORK. I'M SURE I DID SOMETHING WRONG.

I dont think you did any thing wrong with the photo, just seems to be the way things are with the new software. As for the tongs I think they are interesting.. I would be curious to know how they worked in the real world... If they where worth the effort or if they are just an oddity

They do look cool though

Thanks, Monster! Well, I haven't actually forged with them yet. I did clamp down on a piece of 5/8" round stock and they held really tight. I will try them tomorrow and let you know!

I thought about grinding off the rivet and removing the ring on the end and re-attach using a small bolt, this way I could change out different size rings for small stock. Just a thought.

They look good Jeff, nicely made!
Give em' a go and let us know how well they do for you.

I've found it's best to run your pics through an image editor to get a size that's good for posting. I use iPhoto on my Mac and export them as an email jpeg - it gives me a pic about 3" x 5" at 40 - 60k which works well on IFI

I'll be interested in how they work, they look well made regardless.

For me the easiest way to resize a photo is just hit "Save As" and set the size by how much memory it uses. I run a PC on Windows XP and Firefox for a browser.

Frosty the Lucky.

Iron Clad - Nice job on the tongs - Did you see my pictures of the ones I made some years ago? : http://www.farwestforge.com/Forum/bsgview.php?photo=1252&cat=&by=Jeremy K

These are just a set of tongs I made from a line drawing sketch that was in the BABA Magazine. - They are not a fix all type of tongs but a different way of making a set. I have used mine alot and they work very well for what I have used them for. - JK

post-280-12711290846987_thumb.jpg