I Forge Iron

Carbon V?

Steve Shimanek

I ran across a guy at a swap meet today who was selling stock removal knives from what he said were Cold Steel kukri blanks; the tm was ground off and he had a couple blanks for sale. I liked the template so i picked one up; does anyone know what the likely alloy and heat treat for "CarbonV" is? Did Cold Steel really go out of business? Thanks, Steve

I have a 12" kukri machete from cold steel. It is 1050 steel. Cold Steel is assuredly not out of business.

Mark

Thanks Mark, i did some research off site and found that the Carbon V knives had been made for Cold Steel by Camillus, who had some labor issues and quit domestic operations. Carbon V is supposed to be the same thing as 50100B steel, so hopefully i can research the heat treat based on that. It is a back burner project, lol. I like the template of the Cold Steel Kukri; down the road i will try some brush hog blades and adapt the shape and see how it comes out.