I Forge Iron

Lead Screw and nut

Bigswey

I am wanting to make a nut cracker using a lead screw. Does anyone know how to forge a lead screw nut? Lead would be something like 0.5 inches, major diameter something like 3/8 inch..Buying one is not an option for me .... yet, more fun to try and make one . thanks folks any help appreciated

I am wanting to make a nut cracker using a lead screw. Does anyone know how to forge a lead screw nut? Lead would be something like 0.5 inches, major diameter something like 3/8 inch..Buying one is not an option for me .... yet, more fun to try and make one . thanks folks any help appreciated

Hi, You Don't say what nuts you want to crack, pea or coco ?

That seems an odd choice of pitch to screw diameter ratio for a mechanical screw, (more like an archimedian type which I don't think would be appropriate for nut crackers,) if my understanding of thread nomenclature is correct,

I can see a couple of options here, Cast a nut in bronze to your 'screw'

or alternatively for a complete forged look,

Construct the frame to incorporate a section like a courting candle holder, and use the raising and lowering bar on the inside candle support as a handle to give leverage to crack a nut.

Then again you could construct it like the suggestions for renewing post vice screws if you search the site.

Or you could change tack and think about going down the tongs or toggle press basis.

Good luck with the project.

Anvilmag.com had a great article on restoring leg vises that talks about rebuilding the female thread inside of the vise. Unfortunately, they appear to have exceeded their bandwidth allowance and you can't get to the page now. Basically the method is to forge a piece of small stock so that it just fits into the thread. Wrap that into the male thread and then screw it off of the end and braze it to the inside of a cylinder to make the female nut. You might also try to forge a strip of stock into the male threads so that the outer edges just touch each other above the thread and weld them into one piece. Arc welding (Yeah, I know. Curse me for even suggesting it! ) would minimize the risk of deforming the threads at welding.

• 2 weeks later...