I Forge Iron

little gate project

Bryce Masuk

here is one for a friend

I picked up this chip foose helmet for a sweet deal today $200
I really really like it I own the miller elite and this is way nicer it fits my head better the viewing is nicer it has no batterys and it picks up the arc better and instantly turns on properly

I paid 300 for the miller it will end up being my work helmet now because its what my boss uses in the shop and he has all the lenses for replacement for it

here are a fee random project/tool shots as well

post-3202-12684637307975_thumb.jpg

post-3202-12684637767476_thumb.jpg

post-3202-12684637903029_thumb.jpg

post-3202-12684638040354_thumb.jpg

post-3202-12684638435176_thumb.jpg

post-3202-1268463871541_thumb.jpg

Bryce,

Good start, I'm sorry man but CLEAN UP YOUR SHOP!!!

yeah its about time for that lol

I swear I was using everything in there at once...

my brother wanted to see somethings so i just kept pulling stuff out and not much got put away

I try to stay out if there because I know i will start working myself too hard if i am in there

today is the day i finish this thing though

Well here we go

I bent the back supports by hand on my table and zip cut them to fit

I was going to push myself to clean and paint them today but its so close to raining its probley not worth it

everything is an exact fit with no adjustabilty with these hinges

Instead I will clean my junk up and the back of the shop too

post-3202-12685236268866_thumb.jpg

Bryce, the gates look great. Don't worry about the shop too much,not everyone can have a shop thats 100% clean, if your happy working in there then everything is sweet. Then again there's always the safety aspect.Where did you get the Chip Foose helmet from? I have a cheap auto helmet at the moment and its a bit slow to respond some times, and Miller ones out here in Oz are about $400 plus.

Bryce, the gates look great. Don't worry about the shop too much,not everyone can have a shop thats 100% clean, if your happy working in there then everything is sweet. Then again there's always the safety aspect.Where did you get the Chip Foose helmet from? I have a cheap auto helmet at the moment and its a bit slow to respond some times, and Miller ones out here in Oz are about $400 plus.

I bought it from kms it was on sale for $290 they didnt know they had it in stock and the paint was chipped with nothing in the box
they found a bag and sweatband for it and gave it to me for $200
i didnt care about the paint its going to get splattered either way

its the vista 3000 helmet it makes the elite screen seem tiny and its screen is pretty big on it

but this one has 3 7/8 x 3 1/8 screen or 98mm x 81mm has no battery in it either
usually I wouldnt spend that much on a helmet but honestly you would be suprised how much quicker and easier welding/fitting is with a really nice view

i have a cheap everlast helmet I won on welding web I dislike it more than a regular flipper mask the way it fits my head I see more helmet than screen and when you bend over the helmet has no grip system so it flaps down and entirely blocks my view if anything it hinders my welding

its really annoying using your hand to block the light from tacking or looking the other way so it doesnt blind you
eventually those missed blocks/or looking away into someone else running a bead it adds up to poor vision

having a good helmet especially when tig welding makes it alot easier,
when your putting pressure on something with one hand so you can tack it tight
you have the torch in the other hand
pedal under your foot
and the filler rod within reach
its tricky I can do it but not perfect everytime

most old school guys all use a flipper mask once you get used to it after 20 years a automask probley seems pointless by then after the thousands of flashes you have gotten one more doesnt seem so bad

thanks for the comment on the gates they are pretty simple lots of guys make gates like this you will see them with the same spears and ball caps but its what my friend wanted.

I figure if you cant make a basic gate forget about making a fancy one