I Forge Iron

A few hawks from this year..

those are some great looking hawks

what did you quench the rasp hawk in because im making a bowie out of a rasp
and was wondering what was the best thing to quench it in

Oil quench, most good rasps are around 1095..

Curly maple is stained with aqua fortis, then rubbed with linseed oil and finished with wax..
Rasps: not all rasps are good quaility. A farrier who is also a bladesmith told me that he called save edge,simmonds and bellota and they told him they were 1095..I can say that I have used all three and they hardened in an oil quench. No doubt about that. I wouldent think diamonds are 1095 because they are the bottom run of the rasp world.

• 3 weeks later...

Curly maple is stained with aqua fortis, then rubbed with linseed oil and finished with wax..
Rasps: not all rasps are good quaility. A farrier who is also a bladesmith told me that he called save edge,simmonds and bellota and they told him they were 1095..I can say that I have used all three and they hardened in an oil quench. No doubt about that. I wouldent think diamonds are 1095 because they are the bottom run of the rasp world.

I need to come back and add soemthing. I have found that the new save edge are not 1095. I found and saw the MSD on it after forging some of the newer ones..They just didnt feel like or weld like 1095. The MSD that I saw made it out to be xx40 which was probably case hardened. It still hardened but not as hard as 1095 of course.