I Forge Iron

NC Tool Co. Anvils

Does anyone have any input on the anvils offered by NC Tool Co. It seems like they may be made specifically for farriers. At 70-110lbs, that may be a bit on the light side. The horse shoeing demo I saw looked like those gentleman could wear out an anvil so one would think the product would be made to hold up. Thanks for your replies. Spears.

I have one and I continually dedate on wehter I should sell it or not :unsure:

Its the 112 Lb version in the picture.

It has a few features that my other anvils don't and I use them on ocation....

I find the wieght fine for light work and it is a little softer than my peter wright. It makes a good traveling anvil :)

post-6253-1265744139283_thumb.jpg

Generally a farriers anvil is great for shoeing but not too good for general forging work. The weight is in the wrong place! Their attraction is that they are light and so are generally easily movable. For a portable anvil for forging I would go for a small anvil designed for blacksmithing. I have one which is excellent and is becoming a favourite anvil of mine. - See my PM to you. At the weight you mention it would be small (therefore harder to forge on). Also if you want to do larger work it won't really work on a very small anvil like that one especially as there is most of the small mass where you don't want it.

Also farriers anvils have features, for which you are paying, which you just don't want on a blacksmiths anvil. So generally you will probably end up grinding those off.

I have the 112# Calvary by NC Tool which is a quality alloy cast steel anvil. I love it for my farrier work and works fine for blacksmithing as well. It does not replace my larger forged steel Peter Wright though which is my main blacksmithing anvil. In my opinion they serve two different purposes.