I Forge Iron

Hello from Mid-MO

Blessed Silence

Just wanted to drop in and say hi and thanks to yall for the information that I've gotten so far. I've just recently built my first forge out of an old cast irom wood stove as well as a couple of charcoal hearths from 50 gal. drums (crude but none the less effective). I've descided to go kinda "primivite" with my smithing I know a lot of people use a little more modernized forges, but I kinda like the "romance" of doing things the old fashioned way:) I'll be picking up my first anvil this weekend and be starting on a very basic knife design. I'll prolly post the designs and pics as i go through my first major project and look forward to any critique or advice that I might recieve. Thanks again for getting me set on this path I think that its something that will give me hours of pleasure through out my life.

Thanks again for getting me set on this path I think that its something that will give me hours of pleasure through out my life.
At the end of 30 minutes hammering hot metal on an anvil you will no longer remember the problems of the day. And it is much cheaper than a visit to the shrink After you play in fire for a while, you get the mindset that every problem can be fixed with a hammer. Most times your right.

If you have questions, just ask.