I Forge Iron

OHSS Anvil

Hi All,

I've got an opportunity for a OHSS shoeing anvil. I wanted to know a little more about these, and my googling is running me in circles!

Can anyone give me some more feedback on these? Are they pretty good for general smithing? Are they welded steel tops or cast steel? I'm looking for a lighter anvil that I can transport easier if I were to start working some craft shows, demos, etc. I currently have a 200 lb Trenton or HB (not sure on this one) and a 170 lb Hay Budden in the shop.

Attached is a small pic of the OHSS anvil, 77 lbs, very nice shape.

Thanks!

post-11850-12647905464831_thumb.jpg

post-11850-12648265682331_thumb.jpg

If the anvil will do what you want it to than it will suffice. Check it for cracks, rebound, all of the usual stuff. Really doesn't matter how it is made, or who made it, as long as it will work for you. I would be more concerned about the shape,and size. Will it accommodate the types of items that you want to forge? You have other anvils, so you know your way around them some, so see how it compares. Will the owner let you try it out first? If it doesn't work out for you, you can always resell it.