I Forge Iron

Fruits of my blacksmithing class with David Norrie

post-9418-12638480368581_thumb.jpg
The candle holder was a culmination of various skills learned over the course of 3 days. First, we learned to taper to a square point. We the learned to taper to a round point. We then took those points and learned to bend them in to the hooks seen below. After this we learned to flatten with a visible step. This was incorporated into the hooks. The flatten portion was tapered. After this, we made a fork which I chose not to post since one of the tines on mine broke. We then made this candle holder in order to learn creativity. Originally it was supposed to have a round dish on the top but I suggested making it square instead. This was thought of very highly and several others adopted this style in their design. Being a bladesmith, I could not resist putting a knife of some sort on the piece so I made the feet knives. I twisted the metal into each bend and used a torch to create the spiral. Your critique is welcomed and I hope you like the piece because I had a tremendous amount of fun making it!
post-9418-12638493360163_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Not bad at all! I especially like the idea of being able to trim my candles with the candle holder!

Seriously, it's a nice piece though I'm still not sure about the square candle pan as it's attached. The feet would be a treat were they pattern welded too.

all in all I like it. Well done.
Frosty the Lucky.