I Forge Iron

A-36 and A-2 DCF

tnraines

I was given a quote for some steel when I called around saying I wanted some steel for blackmisthing and bladesmithing and this is what I got in an email:

1/4 x 3 A-36 HR steel 24in cut tolerance + 1/8 /0 47.44

and

1/4 x 3 A-2 DCF 24in 5-6ft R/L 78.64

this quote come from Alro steel

This is greek to me other the the price any ideas suggestions etc?

tnraines

I was given a quote for some steel when I called around saying I wanted some steel for blackmisthing and bladesmithing and this is what I got in an email:

1/4 x 3 A-36 HR steel 24in cut tolerance + 1/8 /0 47.44

and

1/4 x 3 A-2 DCF 24in 5-6ft R/L 78.64

this quote come from Alro steel

This is greek to me other the the price any ideas suggestions etc?

tnraines

It's only 5 pounds. So it can't be the lot price. 47.44 sounds like price per hundred, but that's pretty cheap nowadays. And 78.64 per C is way too cheap for DCF. Both are way too much if you're only looking for 24". You need more information.

How are you making your knives stock removal or forging? We need to know what you have for equip. And if we knew what part of the country you lived in someone could suggest a proper steel and tell you where to get it.

Bob

I am in the Dayton ohio area. I have access to a couple decent grinders, a vise and a blowtorch and very picky band saw that sometimes works, sometimes doesnt. my primative forge i have tried to make isnt working well. So i figured id to stock removal for now and use my old files for practice fodder while working on the forge. I am not going for a high polished look but more of a primative tribal look to the finish. I have been looking for old metal but short of trespassing havent seen any so not one to break the law stuck looking for fresh it seems.

tnraines

I am in the Dayton ohio area. I have access to a couple decent grinders, a vise and a blowtorch and very picky band saw that sometimes works, sometimes doesnt. my primative forge i have tried to make isnt working well. So i figured id to stock removal for now and use my old files for practice fodder while working on the forge. I am not going for a high polished look but more of a primative tribal look to the finish. I have been looking for old metal but short of trespassing havent seen any so not one to break the law stuck looking for fresh it seems.

tnraines

I suggest you go here and get a piece of 1084 it is easy to heat treat and very forgivable to someone just starting out.
http://www.usaknifemaker.com/store/1084fg-steel-bar-14-x-112-x-12-p-284.html

Bob