I Forge Iron

No gas flux core welding

Theres no way that flux core is weaker than solid wire. Flux cored wire will run just fine through your machine but just be sure you open the machine up and switch the leads inside over to electrode negative to use self shielded flux cored wire. It wont run right with it still on electrode positive which is what it will be set to if it was used to run solid wire. Flux core is just as stong as any other process as long as its done correctly. Just be sure to clean the flux off the weld before you add another bead or restart.

-Hillbilly

• 2 months later...

One more thing that I did not see mentioned here is to get innershield wire to run right it is best to switch to a knurled drive roll you will get alot better results, we use the little 110v welders in the field and the guys try to compensate for the slippage by tightening the drive rolls which flattens the wire and creates more problems
also one more item there are different types of flux core wire I will use the common Lincoln classification- Nr 211 is not recommended for material over 1/2 inch thickness but it is user friendly, a good all position electrode; then there is Nr 232 wire that is commonly used for structural steel also a good all position electrode , but very voltage sensitive and it needs to run HOT! an .068 wire needs about 225- 250 amps to run
So to sum it up I would go with the Nr 211 or equivalent and your "stick out" should be 3/4" to 1/2''

• 4 months later...

Old thread,I know,but I just finished a job where the gas ran out and it was a weekend and the trailer I was re-fabbing had to be at work monday first thing.

I was dubious of the flux core no gas wire,I thought it was a "hobby" gimmick to sell cheap welders....when I had tried it before I had terrible results.This time though it was great - working outside I didnt have to worry about wind sheilding,it heated the metal fast and went deep,straight through galvanised that I had neglected to grind back.With anti spatter grease liberally brushed around the work the blobs didnt stick so much.I found that a longer wire hang-out worked better but close enough for the fumes to keep the pool covered.And I had forgotten to reverse the polarity ! Im no expert and I was using a little old clarke machine adapted for re-fill bottles and bigger wire spools,but I was able to make a decent job of it.

I have reconsidered this stuff as a viable alternative that can be very useful in the right circumstances and will now always keep some around.

buy your tank from your welding supplyer is a good way to go all you have is to trade it in for a refill when empty you never have to worrie if they are out of date they just swap them out. Lease on a tank is not bad eather. But by the time you lease and refill a tank 3 times you could have purchased one. at least that is the way it worked out with my vender.