I Forge Iron

Oval Axe drift ?

Steve,

Take a look at this link

http://www.fao.org/docrep/009/ah637e/AH637E26.htm

It is on axe making but has the shape and size of a drift. it is metric but you can convert it. I am guessing that you are looking for a real axe drift and not more of a tomahawk drift. Hawk drifts tend to be more teardrop shaped. Hope it helps and good luck on your project.

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

I am not sure if you started yet but... When you make the handle for the ax you want to make sure the fit is very tight- that may sound profound.....but anyway. I am not sure how you plan on making it, If you are making it like a tomahawk where the handle gradually gets bigger at the top then it is wedged in place or if you are going to put pins in it.

One thing I do is leave extra length on the wood you are using so you can have room to mess up a little bit. The main thing you want VERY tight is the fit from front to back of the ax. The sides are important but not quite like front to back as this will receive the most stress. If the tight is not very snug from the front to back then it will be very hard to keep it from moving, even with pins in it.

Hope this makes sense. Post some pictures of your work, I would love to see how it turns out.