I Forge Iron

hammer hawk

another Ball peen conversion.

Is my first curly maple handle. I reinforced it with a 3/8" round bar through the handle from what I read these dont make the best working handles. I welded a rivet to the top of the round bar, a 1/4"x20 thread on the bottom and tighten it up with an acorn nut. Goes to a new owner next week.

Enjoy!

22236_226661464705_507974705_2894176_289

Oh an some RR spike knives for xmas gift.

10619_154826984705_507974705_2469621_391

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Andrew :D

As for the handle I went here http://www.redaviscompany.com/edgedweapons.html and ordered:

22" Premium Curly Maple Handle
I also ordered a "nut brown" stain, a sealer, and a finish they use for gun stock. Makes it really smooth with each coat you add. I didn't want it to look to fake, so I added one coat.

They sell a "pipe hawk" kits with instructions, a cast head, pewter, etc. Might look into them. The booklet has some neat tricks and tips. I ordered one since I was curious about the "pipe hawk." Though I filled that pre-drilled hole with a 3/8" round bar.

Hope it helps and good luck!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Great work on those R.R. Spikes! How did you do the work on the bent handle it almost looks like wire welded around it.

I used a tenon tool we have that helps shape a 1/2" tenon. I place the handle part on diamond and forge it inside causing the sides to flare out making these little wings. Then a simple twist gives it a dynamic look. Glad you like em :) thanks!

I dont remember what oz ball peen it was, would probably guess at least a 12. The larger ball peens obviously have more material in them. I can get the mass to move down for the bearded shape. I try to give them some life and not look like a spatula on a stick.

hahaa Don. I would have cried if I did that! love that hammer.

Ill be attempting a functional pipe hawk soon as well.