I Forge Iron

A new Knife for my brother

ctp13

My Brother has been bugging me for a knife I asked him if there was something he had in mind and he said he liked one I built for a nephew - I'm old and have CRS so I just went and did it my way which is never the same .

Started with 1x1 1085 ( I was told it was that dont know I bought it at a Blacksmith convention ) Used Oil to harden I dont have any heat treating equipment so I just guess :D

I know my detail work is...... well poor I dont build enough knives to pratcice

I decided to make it a combo horizontal and belt sheath . I can hit things with a hammer But the leather work took as long as the blade .

Thanks
Chuck

post-6353-12621499932344_thumb.jpg

post-6353-12621500379328_thumb.jpg

post-6353-1262150163616_thumb.jpg

Ahhh.....very nicely done!

I make blades and do leather work, I think both the knife and the sheath show lots of careful planning and skillful execution.
I've never been a fan of tanto style blades, but yours is unique enough that I would be excited if someone made this one for me :-)

Did you use zebra wood for the handle?

anyways, this is quite a nice piece of work that will be admired by many.

Ahhh.....very nicely done!

I make blades and do leather work, I think both the knife and the sheath show lots of careful planning and skillful execution.
I've never been a fan of tanto style blades, but yours is unique enough that I would be excited if someone made this one for me :-)

Did you use zebra wood for the handle?

anyways, this is quite a nice piece of work that will be admired by many.

Thanks I'll keep trying I mostly make damascus The Tanto thing is the easest for me to free hand which is why I make them that way. The wood is Cocobolo - or a derivitive . we used to have an exotic wood guy here in Sactramento it was great to be able to walk in and get whatever I wanted. He moved to OR and our other local wood place closed so I will have to do it on line - or I have been thinking of making my own micarta I like the look of the levi stuff.

Chuck

The geometry on the last pic is very definite. Mine don't tend to show as much of that on the anvil, that tends to come later. Well done.

Thanks Here is a pic of the top of the knife It looks flat in the other pics

And my next one once I decide if I want to make a saw section or a flat grind in that area.

Thanks again

Chuck

post-6353-12627444730899_thumb.jpg

post-6353-12627444955107_thumb.jpg