I Forge Iron

Anvil at work identified

We have an anvil in the shop at work from a bygone era, sits in a corner and I had wondered about it from time to time. I tapped it with a hammer a while back and had excellent rebound and a good ring. I recieved Richard P,s book in the mail today and quickly found out it to be a Columbian made in Cleveland Ohio. The C in the triangle and M on the other side, exactly like the one in our shop. It is interesting to me that there was a Columbus forge in of course Columbus Oh, can't help but wonder if the Columbia was wanting to get some advertising from a better known brand for the unknowing buyer, but upon further reading the Columbia may have been made by Hay-Budden. A marketing ploy??

• 2 weeks later...

We have an anvil in the shop at work from a bygone era, sits in a corner and I had wondered about it from time to time. I tapped it with a hammer a while back and had excellent rebound and a good ring. I recieved Richard P,s book in the mail today and quickly found out it to be a Columbian made in Cleveland Ohio. The C in the triangle and M on the other side, exactly like the one in our shop. It is interesting to me that there was a Columbus forge in of course Columbus Oh, can't help but wonder if the Columbia was wanting to get some advertising from a better known brand for the unknowing buyer, but upon further reading the Columbia may have been made by Hay-Budden. A marketing ploy??

i dont know. seems interesting, but id say not likely. hay-budden had no troubles selling their anvils. they already had a good rep. and lots of envious smiths that wanted one. its loke the leupold of rifle scopes... cept they arent as good as they once were..

Thats cool that you found out some info about your anvil.

My Kohlswa used to be in a barn on my grandfathers property. This barn used to be a ferriers shop around the turn of the century. It was set up on a stage line between two towns, and I'm sure it kept the horses happy.

Now it keeps me happy. lol