I Forge Iron

Gas Forges and homeowners insurance

jcornell

I've always thought that some questions are too dangerous to ask, including asking my insurance company what would happen if I had a gas forge in my backyard. My insurance doesn't go up with a gas bbq, so it shouldn't with a forge, right?

I've never stored the LP bottles under my roof - they've always lived outside.

Any comments on what running a gas forge does to your insurance? (I'm not running a business - it's a hobby.)

J (Gaithersburg, MD)

I can tell you that the insurance company frowns on welding in a attached garage.. I was told that any welding must be done in a structure that is separated from the house by no less than 20 feet.....

I think you would find that most insurance agents would have no idea what a forge is or what the dangers are... Tough spot to be in...

I promised my wife I wouldn't light my forge within 10 ft of the house, and NEVER in the attached garage. Heck, she didn't even have to ask for this promise, I made it so she would be accepting, before she had problem.

Shh, I light it inside once to finish setting the burners up in the dark. don't tell.

Since that once it gets lit outside, until I can build a detached garage/workshop.

Phil

My insurance agent stopped by one day for his annual inspection unannounced and saw me welding in the garage. He had a conniption fit! No welding of any kind in the garage or on the patio. Saw my Pit Bull and about dumped a load in his shorts! No Pit Bull, Rottweilers, German Shepherds or Chows, so I asked him which he would rather have me do weld or raise dangerous dogs. Really stumped him. He let the dogs slide but not the welding. I have a gas fired forge but can only use it in the back forty. Insurance companies hate everything you do except for safe things like reading books, stamp collecting, collecting anvils(well maybe). They want you to do safe things and have more double talk than you can understand.

Edited by Bentiron1946

Here is a insurance story for ya. Had the policy for 12 yrs. Co sent a letter saying we are upgrading files. Sending a local photog to take street pics. 3 mos later an old guy with a camera shows up. 2mos later I get a non renewal notice. I have trees 50yrs old.
I have mildew (moss on parts of the roof) I have unpainted wood(pressure treated) on my porch. Flakey paint on my alum siding. Notice arrives same day I am going to call
for shop ins( abana) Checked 3 other co. One came out to look. No problem with any of it. Been there before. Bike ins raised from $128 to $1200. Went to independent agent
Same coverage same co $ 126. Go Figure. Shop Shop And Shop again.
Ken.

I rent a house with an attached garage. Its a split entry so the garage is under living space. My landlord, who is also a Realtor, knows what I do and what I have. He just insisted that I carry renters insurance adequate to cover everything. I told the insurance agent that I have "welding" equipment. (I didn't lie. Besides my MIGs and stick machine, my forge also welds :)) He didn't seem too concerned. BTW, except for the very first firing, I don't light the forge inside the garage. It set off the CO detector inside the house and woke the missus up. Boy did I learn my lesson ;)

FWIW something similar to Dragon's Lair's story, an insurance inspector shows up at my house ("But we sent you the paperwork about this 6 months ago...") to check it out. I failed due to roof condition, an outbuilding that was in seroius disrepair, and no railing on my front steps. He asked what my foundry furnace was, and I was completely honest with him about it, he thought it was pretty neat, and insurance-wise didn't bat an eylash, but then again it's out underneath my carport that isn't attached to the house. Go figure.