I Forge Iron

What are the best books on bladesmithing?

hubgrinding

I am just getting started in the art of bladesmithing. I have enrolled in a class at the mass college of art and design under master smith J.D.Smith. I would love to read up on some good beginner books before I Start the class next month.
Please note I am a true beginner. I have never picked up a hammer to forge a knife. I am, however, a full time knife sharpener for many years.

Any suggestions?

you are going to need to pay attention to the mettalurgical information, I have been smithing for 3.5 years or so, and just recently seemed to get a good handle on the changes in metal, austenite, martensite etc..this is vital to understanding the knife making process, if you want to have any success at all. Goddards 50$ knife shop is really, in my mind, the best 1st book, and the others mentioned, for follow up!

I am just starting to read one of the knife stickies above this forum....Metallurgy of steel for bladesmiths. It sure is confusing, but I can tell that there is a ton of good info in there. I think I will read it and then re-read it when I get a better concept of bladesmithing. I think that once some of the concepts are put into practice I will be able to look back and get a better understanding of what I am reading.