I Forge Iron

My First Knives

northboundtrain

I just finished four kitchen knives. The two chef knives and the cleaver looking thing were forged from a leaf spring off an '80s vintage Toyota pickup. I'm guessing that it is 5160 because an earlier attempt to quench a blade in water resulted in several cracks. Any other thoughts/suggestions on what the steel might be?

The smaller paring knife is made from 1095 that I bought to make some woodworking plane irons a few months ago (those blades still haven't needed to be resharpened since I first started using them :) ).

I quenched all the blades in peanut oil and tempered them with a little mapp torch. I aimed for blue along the spine and straw/bronze at the edge out to bronze/purple at the tip.

The hidden tangs (3/8" rebar on the chef knives and a 40 penny nail on the paring knife) were mig welded to the bolsters. Next time I'd like to try and forge the whole knife -- blade and tang -- out of one piece. That seems like the more professional way to do it.

The chef knives are about 11-12 inches overall with approx 6 1/2 inch blades.

http://www.iforgeiron.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/894/cat/500

660.attach

Yeah, I tested them all. The cleaver works pretty well for chopping. It has a thicker blade and blunter edge angle, so it is for heavier work. I'm finding that blade and handle ergonomics are everything. A few degrees off makes a big difference. I think the best of the bunch is the mahogany handled chef knife (the lighter colored handle; the others are walnut). I'm giving that one away tomorrow as a wedding gift. The others will be my daily knives until I make better ones (if that ever happens).

Hey thanks to whomever did the thumbnail attachment. I haven't been able to do those myself because the size of my pics is too big.

By posting the photos in the IForgeIron Gallery they are automatically resized. Just go to the image you need displayed in the gallery, right click the mouse, click properties, and then copy the bottom URL. Do NOT use the "click to enlarge" full size image as this is many times way to large for the forum.

When you type in your post, click on the manage attachments button and paste the URL into the Upload File from a URL space and click upload. For additional photos, repeat the process.

This way you have the image in the post where it is used as a visual aid, and in the gallery where it well be seen by everyone, not just those reading the post. Douple posting an image in this fashion is encouraged as many more viewers see your work.

Many times you will see both an image in the post AND a thumbnail. The image in the post is referenced via URL to another internet location. If the other internet location is deleted, the image can not be displayed and it creates a broken link in the forum and the information is lost. The thumbnail is part of the IForgeIron Forum, is saved in the forum, and the information remains for all to use.

If the thumbnail is not created when the post is originally made, someone has to review the posts and then add the image manually so the information is not lost. This will become an issue as the forum grows larger so your attention to these details now is most appreciated.