I Forge Iron

New Mexico gas forge maker

Riograndeironworks

RIOGRANDEIRONWORKS; there are sometimes forges for sale on the NM ABANA Affiliate web page. ABANA-chapter web page

Are you going to the SWABA meeting this Saturday---we could ask the group about one for sale and it will be at Rob Gunter and Sons blacksmithing school in Moriarty and he has made a number of very good propane forges before.

Thomas
President of SWABA (South West Artist Blacksmith Association)

Aloha Thomas, I have been prototyping a hybrid burner using SS pipe approx 1.31" OD and .120" wall, I have a customized machined venturi insert and extended tip pipe over the end/exhaust portion, I have generated a stable flame from 4 psi to 50 psi w/ a good neutral burning flame like in the pics producing generous amounts of heat/btu's ( will test/measure once in forge), My question is when I place the burners into the forge thru the fire brick, how much of the tip should actually go into the forge? I noticed the tip heats Red hot at higher Psi (25-50), I don't want to extend to far in or not enough, any suggestions would be much appreciated! ( I have the fire brick but have not made forge yet, thinking of 9x6x16" internal dimensions w/ 3 burners. Zapsteel

RIOGRANDEIRONWORKS; there are sometimes forges for sale on the NM ABANA Affiliate web page. ABANA-chapter web page

Are you going to the SWABA meeting this Saturday---we could ask the group about one for sale and it will be at Rob Gunter and Sons blacksmithing school in Moriarty and he has made a number of very good propane forges before.

Thomas
President of SWABA (South West Artist Blacksmith Association)

Sorry about the delay answering, I had to work (3) 12 hr shifts, but anyways, not sure what temp bricks are rated for, they came out of a large commercial oven/forge, I have 2 colors, white and tan, I was told by a good friend that the white bricks we're the higher temp bricks, I was thinking of just coating to protect and make sure it will last, but any suggestions of what to coat or use would be much appreciated, I'm tired of the school of hard knocks if I can help it, thank you in advance, Thomas!!

Hey Rio! That bit about not having time to fab yourself a forge reminds me of a saying I heard when I lived in Central America:

En la casa del herrero, cuchara de palo.

Rough translation for those who want one: In the blacksmith's house, wooden spoons.

I finally gave up and bought one ready made. It ran me about $400.00 with shipping and all but it came ready to use, just add propane. It is small and won't do welds (at least, not for ME) but it is quick and easy to use. If I only have a few minutes of spare time, I can have the fire up to forge heat in a couple of minutes and be banging iron. When I need to quit, I just close the valve and go.