I Forge Iron

Antique Spanish wrought iron collection

I'm blown away by the collection, and I'm thankful that some of it has been shown to the public. I have a special interest in Hispanic iron, being the co-author of "Southwestern Colonial Ironwork" recently re-printed by Sunstone Press. So far, I've glimmed about three quarters of the photos, but if one is taken by the work, they require repeated looks and further study. I notice that if you click on a photo, you get an exploded view. Fortunately, architectural hardware is more collectible than 3,000 pound gates and grilles.

Some of my suspicions have been confirmed. Thumb latches are of the "Norfolk" style, not the "Suffolk." The reverse internal views of the chest locks are not too unlike the Mexican ones that I've seen. The same may be said for strap hinge finials.

For serious students of this style, Byne & Stapley wrote a book, "Spanish Ironwork" in 1915. In 1993, the Museum at Teruel, Spain, published "De lo

Edited by Frank Turley