I Forge Iron

Bathroom Fan?

JWCarlson

I've done some searching but I can't seem to find if anyone has used a bathroom fan as their blower?

Can get a brand new one for $10 that moves 70 CFM.
Is this enough volume?

Better yet... is there a better 110-115v fan that I can control the speed of that's readily available?

I looked at getting a Stanley blower utility fan for a while when I was looking for an air source. Rotating head, 4 adjustable speeds, , small size, $55, and it moves an extremely large volume very quietly. Only problem for me was it was a special order item from the local hardware store and would've taken several weeks to get. Also I didn't have the $55 at the time heh. I would check ebay etc. for small utility fans of the same type. This one was basically a much smaller version of the large rotary blower fans carpet cleaners use to dry carpets.

Depending on the openings in the twyere, most fans will work to an greater or lesser extent, depending on their output. I use a 4 inch squirrel cage fan that came out of a junk machine, the fan being used to move air to cool the machine. Think Xerox copiers, photographic processors, etc. Other have used hair dryers, sweepers, etc.

It is all about what is available to you in your location.

Many of the fans I have tried are too strong and produce too much air for a forge. One fan actually had the coal dancing in the fire pot. It would be great for a larger fire and heating 3-4 inch stock, but I was not doing anything that large.

If you do a search of IForgeIron there are several discussions on fans and one that goes into how much volume and water column pressure is needed.

From the Machinery Handbood 12th ed. page 1539

Air Pressures and Pipe Sizes for Forges
Blacksmiths' forges require air pressures' varying from 1-1/2 to 6 ounces per square inch. Small forges with the blower close to them are adequately supplied with 1-1/2 ounce pressure.

You should remember that this was written in 1945 and based on forges and work being done before that date. The forges may have been large and the blacksmith most likely was working large stock by today's standards. But it is still a good guide line for the working air pressure for the forge.