I Forge Iron

first axe

i've made a few hatchets before but never a larger axe and i was skimming through this history book i have and saw this medieval peasant using an axe...nothing unusual there but i noticed it almost looked like it didnt have a normal eye so i thought i would try to figure it out (i am probably wrong) but i thought maybe it could have been made using a socket. so i tried it and this was mainly a test of the idea and getting some practice with making a proper edge :P. let me know what you think...all criticism is welcome....but so far its going through logs etc like theres no tomorrow. oh and if you guys know anything about the axe i was looking at please share :)

p.s. i like to apply a protective layer of paint to prevent rust on my tools incase your wondering about the black.

The socket may be like you made or it may be open at the top, so more like a long eye. I saw a old goose wing axe from Germany the had a long eye like that but open at the end. The long eye seemed almost handle like where a person could use both hands to shave the wood with. Interesting picture though. I will see if I can find the picture of the goose wing.

Brian