I Forge Iron

tweco tips

origami roofs

do you have to have a special tap for tweco tips? can you get the tap local? trying to build a torch.

Are you talking about "1/4"x 28 threaded "TWECO 14T" copper tip" mentioned on
Forge and Burner Design Page #1 ? I am a bit confused when you say you are trying to build a "torch", do you mean to say that you are building a gas forge or are you really building a torch?

It sounds like a standard tap.
Standard Tap and Drill Size Chart

I used Lincoln tips, 1/4 - 28. Most inexpensive tap and die sets do not include that particular size so you need to buy it separate. Taps of this size range are not expensive, and can be found at most hardware stores and big box places. If the kit came with a thread gage that size is probably not included on the gage.

Phil

I used Lincoln tips, 1/4 - 28. Most inexpensive tap and die sets do not include that particular size so you need to buy it separate. Taps of this size range are not expensive, and can be found at most hardware stores and big box places. If the kit came with a thread gage that size is probably not included on the gage.

Phil

The larger, L250, gun uses a Tweco 14 tip which is 1/4 -28 but the smaller L100 that is on the 175amp welders is a Tweco 11. That thread size is M6-1.0.

When I built my "Frosty" T jet burner, I fabricated the tip holder and had to use an M6 tap to thread the contact tip ( nozzle ).

Just to be sure, I just measured one when I got home from work ;)