I Forge Iron

need help starting forge

Emmettculligan

I just made my first forge using 4 propane burners spaced about 18" apart that enter into the side of the forge which is about 7' long by 2' wide by 2' tall. Ive got a fire brick floor, 3 courses of insulating brick and fabricated steel with Kaowool making up the balance of the walls and top.

The problem that Im having is keeping the forge buning after I close the top. With out the top, the burners are putting out 15 psi each and really cook. Once I shut the top off I basically get the flame coming out of the exhast holes at either end of the forge that I created by removing a fire brick. THe flame is basically shooting out of these exhast holes and isnt burning at the burners themselves. Ive tried tuning the burners very low and very high as well as making the exhast hole bigger. Not sure what Im dealing with here and would like some advice. Maybe I need to let the forge heat up this way before it works properly??? THANKS!

a 7 foot long forge what are you try to forge that you need a forge that long any way if you had a pic of it it may help it sounds to me like you built a forge like the comercial ones out there the one we had back in shop were like (about 4 foot long though)that they were gas and the burnners came in the sides and the top didn't sit on top of it it was on a piviot and sat a few inches above the forge walls and could swing the topaway if needed

Not sure where it is but on line somewhere there is a formula for figuring out how many of wot size burners you need to heat up so many cubic inches...You would have to back track to determine the real output from our burners and then find the cubic inches of your forge. Or maybe just block off one or two burners and see how it works then.

Sords maybe?